Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Incident

What a beautiful day it was; the sun was shining brightly, motor sailing in very light wind, heading south with the main up for stability in the very confused 4’ seas. As the wind started to freshen I decided to raise our cruising spinnaker (over 1000 sq. ft!) and do some sailing. Well, about two hours later the wind really started gusting, so now was the time to bring her down. As we turned into the wind to collapse the big boy, the boat was hit by a huge gust and the boat broached putting all sails and my feet on the rail, in the water. When the boat righted, that big spinnaker came out of the water and filled with wind and with a huge bang, exploded over the side and the entire rig followed her in. In a flash, or should I say shadow everything went over my head including the main mast, sail, starboard chain plates, Mizzen mast (with radar!), sail (new!), Jib, roller furling, inner forestay and all Standing and running rigging. The only thing hurt at that point was my pride, so I started the generator and proceeded to cut away all the standing rigging with my trusty Makita grinder. Brother Marc, was busy cutting away the running rigging (rope, to you power boaters) and in no time the main mast foot was no longer staring up at me and was now headed for Davy Jones. So,,, now we were a power boat with a long slog north to San Diego.

As of today the boat is safely in the boatyard getting new cap rails, chain plates and rigging with hopes for a sail north to Long Beach near the end of March.

No comments: